Tuesday, March 17, 2009

500 Journals – The Mariposa Project: Guidelines






The photo above is of a journal in process.

The original post describing this project is here.



Here are some simple guidelines to observe if you are planning to make a journal to send along for Turning Point. Mostly, they're common sense but I just want to be sure we're on the same page.


1. If you are making a journal using a composition notebook, please use one that is stitched rather than perforated. Just my little quirk, as these are sturdier and won’t result in pages being accidentally torn out over time and use. Mine are standard sized, 200 pages (100 sheets). I believe they’re available in wide and college ruled. Wide might be good for children’s journals.

2. Uplifting quotes, song snippets, poetry, etc. are often used to complement and enhance artwork. Please, though, be mindful of the sensitive situations that journal recipients have left when choosing quotes.

3. The journals might be subjected to a lot of wear and tear, being tossed in tote bags, backpacks, etc. Keeping dimensional and dangly elements to a minimum will help ensure that a journal’s unique design stays intact. A good, sturdy (non-toxic) glue and also protective layers of clear acrylic placed over dimensional elements where possible will help.

4. Remember that kids use the journals, too! Kid-friendly designs will be welcomed, as well as stickers, special pens, pencils, etc., as per suggestions on the Turning Point wishlist.

5. I am reminded that some folks would like to contribute to the project without having to create a journal. Purchased journals can be sent, as well as any supplies or stickers, etc., as suggested above. If you’d like to simply send a blank composition book I will be happy to create a journal in your name or find another artist to do so.

6. Please contact me for a mailing address when you are ready to send. Whenever I have gathered 12 or so journals, I’ll deliver them to Turning Point. My hope is that this will be ongoing so feel free to work on these as you are inspired to do so. There are no time constraints.

IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE SENDING MORE THAN ONE JOURNAL PLEASE SEPARATE THEM WITH WAXED OR PARCHMENT PAPER TO KEEP THEM FROM STICKING TOGETHER DURING MAILING- THANK YOU!

I will be posting photos of your journals as they arrive. Stay tuned!

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed an interest in helping, and to those yet to come.

Peace!

Deb

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful journal, Deb. Beautiful idea. I would like to do one or some, and am hesitant to promise anything to anyone right now except that tomorrow morning I *will* be getting up and doing my best to deliver my gifts into the day and to those I come in contact with.

    I have bookmarked this post to remind me, when things ease a bit, as they are sure to do, and so I can watch the beauty unfold as you move forward.

    Thank you!
    Chas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great! I was going to ask you to send me these guidelines but I will just copy them here... meant to stock up on books while in the U.S. but had no time to shop. So I will see what I can find here...

    ReplyDelete