Monday, August 6, 2007

Fabric Postcards

So this was fun. The latest swap I participated in was a 3-for-3 fabric postcard (4" x 6") exchange. Something new for me. One postcard was to be a mermaid theme and the others were open. I didn't have a lot of time to add all the detail I would have liked but I did have fun with the backgrounds.

The mermaid background was created on unbleached muslin using a masking tape stencil and pastel dye sticks. The color is applied to the tape and then lifted with a toothbrush onto the fabric. I love the subtle blending - it looks airbrushed:

Both of the remaining cards started with a water color dye on unbleached muslin, on top of which more color was layered using the dye stick and masking tape method:

Here's the back of the leaf card, just to give an idea of the total concept (boy, that stitching isn't too neat on the reverse!):

Each card was layered with a thin (1/4") sheet of foam to give it a little thickness and body.

Click on any image to enlarge it.

I really enjoyed making these and wish I'd had a little more time to be creative. Can't wait to see what comes back. I have seen photos of some really beautiful fabric cards. Mine are, well, hmm, maybe just a little quirky. I'm already planning the next batch, with little pockets and all manner of goodies!

Stay tuned...

1 comment: