Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Last Autumn Leaves



Even though I didn't know Sondra Ball very well, I appreciated her long-time commitment to poets and poetry.  I enjoyed the vivid seasonal images of her world that she shared through her words in each publication of Autumn Leaves and felt that I got to know her just a little bit better with every one I read.  I was happy to be included in her outreach and was saddened when it seemed apparent earlier this year that her time here was nearing completion.  She has left a legacy that honors poetry and poets everywhere, not least of all Sondra, herself.

There are many wonderful poetic tributes to Sondra in this, The Last Autumn Leaves.  Her husband, Mario, has done an exemplary job of putting this final issue together.  I haven't been able to read it without wiping away tears.  Please be sure to read Sondra's own poetry, as it speaks of a gentle-natured soul and her journey. (Sondra's work is listed at the bottom of the table of contents.)

To say that she will be missed doesn't seem enough. But I believe that the outpouring of poetry in response to Mario's call expresses the magnitude of that sentiment. Her passing leaves a void but her spirit truly lives on.

Here are the links to my poems in this issue, but please do yourself a favor and don't stop there.

Aleutian Ripples

Dark Wing

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment